– Rub the roast with an herb of your choice (we like garlic and herb rub outlined below), and allow to sit at room temperature, wrapped loosely in plastic, for a couple hours.
– Preheat oven to 250 degrees
– Place the meat in a roasting pan, insert a meat thermometer, and cook for 30 minutes
– Turn the oven heat as low as it will go (150-170 degrees), and cook until the meat registers 120-125 degrees. It will generally take 70 minutes per pound of meat at 170 degrees of heat.
– Remove from oven, let rest for 5-10 minutes covered loosely in foil, and serve.
Garlic Herb Rub
– 1 tablespoon dried thyme
– 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
– 2 tablespoons dried oregano
– 1 teaspoon ground fennel
– 2 teaspoons garlic powder
– 1 1/2 tablespoons course salt
– 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper