Pan-seared Steaks Indoors
Summer isn’t the only time to enjoy your rib-eyes. Unlike standard pan-frying, this method of searing steaks, then placing in a hot oven, keeps the meat juicy and prevents drying out but still with a good crust like you get off the grill.
1. Preheat your oven to 475.
2. Season your steaks. We like to rub steaks with cut garlic ends and season with coarse salt and pepper.
3. Heat a cast-iron skillet on the stove over medium-high heat and heat a 1:1 mix of butter and oil to your skillet. Lard also works fine here if you have some.
4. When the pan is hot, sear each side of the steak, 2 minutes per side.
Then place the whole pan in the oven and cook for 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare, longer if you want your steak more done.
5. Let it rest five minutes under foil after cooking and serve with the juices from the pan, or a yummy sauce of your invention.